There are numerous finance careers that involve the stock market, each with its own unique set of responsibilities and requirements. Below are some of the most common finance careers that deal with the stock market:
- Stockbroker: Stockbrokers buy and sell stocks on behalf of clients. They work for brokerage firms and must pass licensing exams to become registered representatives. Their main goal is to help their clients make profitable investments in the stock market.
- Investment Banker: Investment bankers work for investment banks and help companies raise money through stock offerings and other securities. They also provide advice on mergers and acquisitions, and help with the negotiation process.
- Financial Analyst: Financial analysts research and analyze companies, industries, and financial markets. They use this information to make recommendations about which stocks to buy, sell, or hold.
- Portfolio Manager: Portfolio managers oversee the investment portfolios of individuals or organizations. They make investment decisions on behalf of their clients, buying and selling stocks to meet their investment objectives.
- Equity Research Analyst: Equity research analysts study specific industries and companies, analyzing financial statements, market trends, and other data to make recommendations about which stocks to buy or sell.
These are just a few examples of finance careers that involve the stock market. Each of these careers requires a unique skill set and education level. To learn more about each career and what it entails, check out the links below:
- Investopedia. (2022). What Does a Stockbroker Do? https://www.investopedia.com/articles/professionals/102515/what-does-stockbroker-do.asp
- Corporate Finance Institute. (n.d.). Investment Banking Career Path. https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/careers/jobs/investment-banking-career-path/
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2021). Financial Analysts. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm
- The Balance Careers. (2022). What Does a Portfolio Manager Do? https://www.thebalancecareers.com/portfolio-manager-525925
- Indeed. (n.d.). Equity Research Analyst. https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/careers/equity-research-analyst